Our team is proud to be working towards sustainability assuring responsibility for our impacts on the environment, our customers, employees and local communities. To reduce our footprint on nature and promote the well-being, we have put into place the principles of sustainable development.
This Sustainability Policy aims to integrate a philosophy of sustainable development into all of Voyage By Me activities and to establish and promote sound environmental practice in our operations.
We strive to minimize the negative effects of tourism on the environment and maximize the effective use of resources. We want to assume the sustainability aspect through the development of documented systems to implement, measure, monitor, and disseminate good environmental performance both in terms of our own operations and when we work with local partners.
We strive to achieve this by increasing communication and awareness of our efforts in accordance with this policy and fostering responsible environmental behavior among our staff, providers and customers at all levels.
1. Social management
Voyage By Me aims at creating adequate and safe working conditions in accordance with social policy and universal human rights.
– Our employees are free to enter their employment through their own choice and can leave when they choose without penalty.
– We do not employ children, 14 years or younger.
– We ensure that people are not discriminated against with regard to recruitment, conditions of employment, access to training and senior positions, or promotion in terms of gender, race, age, disability, ethnicity, religion/beliefs or sexual orientation.
– We support freedom of expression, association and assembly of our employees.
– We pay our employees a living wage which is equal to or above the legal minimum.
– Our employees have the right to sick leave and a fixed yearly paid holiday.
– We provide opportunities for the personal and professional development of our employees.
2. Internal environmental management
Our company’s internal environmental management aims at reducing negative impact on the environment with the help of the following means:
– Our company practices remote work-at-home policy to reduce transportation use by employees. In such a way, we minimize pollution caused by work-home traffic.
– We use environmentally friendly transport when possible.
– Printing is not relevant for us as a digital company, because sharing documents remotely is easier and faster done online. This way, we promote paper-free working while saving a lot of trees.
– We comply with national waste legislation.
– We comply with wastewater treatment national regulations.
– We comply with land use and construction regulations.
3. Product and supply chain management
By regulating supply chain management, Voyage By Me aims at minimizing negative impact of tourism on the environment and maximizing economic and social benefits to local communities.
– We intend to develop written letters of commitment/codes of conduct for our key partner agencies, where we will include the principle sustainability clauses (no child labor, no sexual exploitation, no corruption and bribery, proper waste management and protection of biodiversity…).
– We will inform our key partners about the companies’ sustainability policy and they are expected to comply with it where relevant.
– We intend to provide guides and suppliers with sustainability guidance.
– We will implement a long-term policy that will include the preference for sustainable accommodations.
– We aim to ensure that accommodation providers comply with local and national regulations.
– We aim to insure that transport providers comply with legal requirements for safety.
– We intend to develop a code of conduct/guidelines for sensitive excursions and activities. Providers of sensitive excursions or activities, which are offered through local partners, will receive and implement documented guidelines in order to minimize negative visitor impact on nature.
– We do not offer captive animals attractions and oppose all forms of illegal and exploitative forms of tourism.
– Wildlife species are not harvested, consumed, displayed or sold.
– Excursions which include interactions with wildlife, like safari or whale watching, comply with relevant codes of conduct.
– Any disturbance of natural ecosystems is minimized.
– We promote excursions and activities which involve and support local communities by purchasing local services, food and goods.
– We promote activities which support local environment and biodiversity, for example visiting protected areas, national parks.
4. Customer communication and protection
We aim at protecting our customers, increase client satisfaction and develop customer commitment to sustainability.
Prior to booking
– Marketing and advertising messages comply with relevant standards and voluntary codes of conduct.
– Sales information is transparent, complete and accurate with regard to the company and its products and services.
After booking and during holidays
– We provide information about the natural surroundings, local culture and cultural heritage in the holiday destination.
– We provide customers with guidelines and practical information about health, safety risks and precautions.
– A contact person and permanently reachable telephone number is available for emergency situations.
– We will provide clear information about commitment to sustainability.
– We will encourage clients to use local restaurants and shops.
– We will give recommendations on how to make a positive environmental and cultural contribution at destinations: limit the use of natural resources, buy only legal souvenirs, mind the dress code and cultural habits of local communities…
– We will inform clients about applicable legislation concerning the purchasing, sales, in- and export of historic or religious artifacts and articles containing materials of threatened flora and/or fauna in the destination.
– We will inform customers about commercial, sexual or any other form of exploitation and harassment, particularly of children and adolescents.
– We use the Visitor Feedback form to improve the commitment of our staff and suppliers towards a more sustainable approach to tourism activities.
– We systematically measure client satisfaction.
The company’s CEO and sustainability coordinator monitor the overall progress and results of the sustainability policy on a regular basis. The sustainability coordinator continuously evaluates if there is a need to modify or extend the policy, or if any particular items need discussing.